Voter Registration Information

Does everyone have to register to be eligible to vote?  Yes

How can I register?

  • At the office of your county, city, township, or village clerk.
  • At any other registration locations established by the local clerk.

Last Day to Register - A resident must register on or before the thirtieth day before the next regular or special election or primary election.

Are there other sources of voter registration applications?

Voter registration applications can originate at any of the following, but are not registrations until accepted by your local clerk:

  • Secretary of State driver’s license office
  • Secretary of State "renewal by mail"
  • State and federal mail-in forms

NOTE: Voters using mail-in registration forms must vote in person the first time they vote!

  • Family Independence Agency
  • Department of Community Health
  • Michigan Jobs Commission
  • Commission for the Blind
  • Armed Forces Recruiters
  • Federal Post Card Application (FPCA)

Will I ever have to re-register?

Registration in this state is considered permanent, however, any time you move out of one community and into another in this state you must re-register. The same is true if you move out of state. Re-registration is also necessary if for any reason your registration has been cancelled and it cannot be reinstated.

Change of Address?

  • If you move within your city, township or village, a change of address should be made with your local clerk or at a Secretary of State Branch Office. If you have not completed a change of address prior to election day, you will not lose your right to vote. A change of address card will be completed at the polling place when you vote.
  • If you move outside your city, township or village, a change of address should be made at a Secretary of State Branch Office. The change of address may be made by mail as well as in person.
  • If you submit a change of address on your driver’s license at a Secretary of State Branch Office, the address on your voter registration record will automatically be changed as well.

Change of Name?

Any name change due to marriage or legal action may be reported to the clerk by:

  • Mail
  • In Person
  • At the Secretary of State Branch Office

A person changing name should re-register, but may vote under former name.


Am I registered to vote?


Where do I vote? 


How do I obtain an Absent Voter Ballot?


Help America Vote Act 

Election Contact Information

BARB BYRUM, County Clerk

Mason Courthouse
341 S. Jefferson, PO Box 179
Mason MI 48854
Phone: (517) 676-7255
Fax: (517) 676-7254

Veterans Memorial Courthouse
313 W. Kalamazoo St., First Floor
Lansing MI 48933
Phone: (517) 483-6454
Fax: (517) 483-6421

Hours of Operation:  8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. *
Monday thru Friday

* The office may close for a short time during normal business hours due to occasional staff shortages.