Marriage Licenses

Marriage License Application 
  • You must obtain your license in the county where you reside. 
  • If one or both of you have an Ingham County address, you must apply at the Ingham County Clerk’s Office for your license. 
  • The fee is $20. 
  • You can use the license to be married anywhere in Michigan.
If you are an Ingham County Resident, you are welcome to apply for your license online or in-person. 
Submitting your application online
  • Be sure to click "Submit" when you are finish. This starts the three day waiting period with the day you click "Submit" serving as the first day. Click here for more information about the three day waiting period.
  • Once the three day waiting period is complete, you may pick up your marriage license. For office locations and hours, please Click Here. Make sure you bring government-issued identification that shows your correct Ingham County address and the social security numbers of both parties. Only one party needs to be an Ingham County resident. Both parties do not have to be present to apply. If only one person comes in to apply, they must be the Ingham County resident.
  • Please remember that your marriage license will expire 33 days from when you clicked the "Submit" button. If the marriage is not scheduled to occur within 33 days, please wait to submit your online marriage license application.
Submit your application in person at either of our offices
  • Complete and print out the Marriage License Affidavit Worksheet. You can also complete this worksheet in the office. Make sure you bring: birth dates, birth places (city and state), current residence addresses, and social security number of both parties, and each parties' parents' full names, including maiden names and the state where each parent was born. 
  • For office locations and hours, please Click Here.
  • Make sure you bring government-issued identification that shows your correct Ingham County address. Only one party needs to be an Ingham County resident. Both parties do not have to be present to apply. If only one person comes in to apply, they must be the Ingham County resident.
  • Once the application has been submitted, the three day waiting period begins. Click here for more information.

Out-of-State Applicants 
  • Applicants coming from out-of-state must apply for their license in the county in Michigan where the marriage is taking place. 
  • Please find the out of state application here: Out-of-State Marriage License Affidavit Worksheet
  • The fee in Ingham County is $30 payable at the time you submit your signed/notarized affidavit. 
  • Out-of-state marriage affidavits may be mailed to the Ingham County Clerk once they have been signed by both parties before a notary public. 
  • We ask that when you mail the affidavit, please include contact phone numbers for each of you, the wedding date, and your payment. This can be done on a separate piece of paper or a sticky note. We will not be able to process your request for the marriage license if there are any questions or problems and we are unable to contact you.
  • All out-of-state affidavits should be mailed to Ingham County Clerk, PO Box 179, Mason MI 48854.
  • The Marriage Licenses must be picked up in person prior to the ceremony, but not before the three day waiting period has expired. We will not mail the marriage licenses. 
Waiting Period

Michigan has a three (3) day waiting period before a license can be picked up. The following is a list of the pick up schedule:

If You Apply On  The Earliest Pick Up Is
 Monday  Wednesday
 Tuesday  Thursday
 Wednesday  Friday
 Thursday/Friday  Monday


You may request to waive the three (3) day waiting period by completing a waiver petition in the Clerk's Office. If the waiver is approved, an additional $25 fee is added to the license fee.

Educational Materials
Individuals applying for a marriage license are NOT required to receive blood testing or HIV counseling. However, the County Clerk is required to provide written educational materials regarding prenatal care and the transmission and prevention of venereal diseases and HIV infection.

Clerk Solemnization 
  • Clerk Byrum performs marriage ceremonies at the Main Mason Office and Lansing Branch Office.
  • Clerk Byrum's availability to perform cermonies is when her schedule permits, Monday through Friday.
  • The fee is $50 for the ceremony and an additional $15 if witnesses need to be provided.
  • The Ingham County Clerk's Office accepts cash, check, money order, or credit/debit card as forms of payment. Please note that a service fee is assessed for credit/debit card transactions.

To schedule a marriage ceremony, please visit the Ingham County Clerk's Office in Lansing or Mason, or call the Office at (517) 676-7201.

Requesting a Certified Copy of a Marriage License 

Complete our marriage license request form and submit it by email, fax, or mail: 

  1. Complete the Marriage License Request Form.
  2. Submit the request form and payment by email, fax, or mail. The request form has the necessary address information. If you submit your request by email or fax, you must pay by credit/debit card. If you submit your request by mail, you are welcome to pay by check, money order, or credit/debit card. Please make your check/money order payable to Ingham County Clerk. Please do not mail cash.

The certified copy of the marriage license will be mailed to you within 5 business days of the receipt of the request.

You are welcome to expedite your request for an additional $30.00.

Request a certified copy of a marriage license in-person: 
Click Here for office locations and hours.